Investigative Services investigates election related criminal violations, as provided by the California Elections Code.

View some of the more common Elections Code violations or view all of the penal provisions of the Elections Code (sections 18000 through 18700).

Election Voter Complaint Form

If you believe that you are a victim of election fraud or have witnessed a criminal violation of the California Elections Code, you may use the Election Voter Complaint Form to report the violation to our office.

Web Form for online submission

Downloadable form:

Once the downloadable Election Voter Complaint Form has been completed, it can be mailed or faxed to:

California Secretary of State
Elections Division
1500 11th Street, 5th Floor
Sacramento, CA 95814
Fax: (916) 653-3214

If you have questions, you may contact the Secretary of State's office at:

English: (916) 657-2166 or (800) 345-VOTE (8683)
Spanish: (800) 232-VOTA (8682)

HAVA and HAVA Complaint Form

Visit the California Secretary of State's Help America Vote Act of 2002 (HAVA) web page, for more information about HAVA or to lodge a HAVA complaint.

Other Types of Complaints

The following is a list of resources for some of the most common complaints not handled by our office.

  1. Political Reform Act violations. Allegations of conflict of interest by public officials or complaints involving campaign contributions, gifts, statements, forms, disclosures or any other potential violation of the Political Reform Act (Government Code sections 81000 through 91014) should be directed to:

    Fair Political Practices Commission
    1102 Q Street, Suite 3000
    Sacramento, CA 95811
    (866) 275-3772 or (916) 322-5660

  2. Proposition 218 related assessments. The passage of Proposition 218, the Right to Vote on Taxes Act in 1996 established new balloting procedures that allowed all property owners who would have to pay a proposed assessment to decide if it should be imposed. Examples are benefit or special assessments that fund street lights, sewers, sidewalks, levees and other improvements that benefit an assessed property. Ballots are weighted according to the amount each property owner will pay. Only those owning property in the district to be assessed are eligible to receive and cast ballots (instead of registered voters, many of whom do not own property and would not have to pay the assessment). For more information on the rules governing assessments, see Article XIIID of the California Constitution and Government Code section 53753. Complaints about assessment proceedings can be made to the entity conducting ballot processing or to the superior court.
  3. Los Angeles Neighborhood council elections. Complaints about Los Angeles Neighborhood Council elections should be directed to:

    General Manager
    Los Angeles City
    Department of Neighborhood Empowerment
    334 - B East 2nd Street
    Los Angeles, CA 90012

  4. Homeowner association elections. These elections are bound by the terms set forth in the homeowner association covenants, conditions and restrictions and by the Davis-Stirling Act, found in California Civil Code sections 1363.03-1363.09. Association members that believe election procedures under this code have not been followed should contact a private attorney or the California Attorney General's office. For details, see:
  5. Theft/vandalism of campaign signs. This is typically a local issue and is not mentioned in the Elections Code. Some cities have specific ordinances that prohibit campaign sign theft/vandalism -- check with your local code enforcement department. Otherwise, sign theft/vandalism is treated as any other minor property crime and can be reported to your local police or sheriff's office.