2021 CA Gubernatorial Recall Election
Like any statewide election, eligible Californians will have the opportunity to cast a ballot and make their voice heard.
- All California active registered voters will receive a vote-by-mail ballot for the September 14, 2021 recall election. Your county elections office will begin mailing ballots by August 16, 2021.
- The recall ballot will ask two questions: 1) do you want to recall Governor Newsom? and 2) If the governor is recalled, who do you want to replace him?
- If 50% or more vote NO, the governor would remain in office.
- If more than 50% vote YES, the governor would be removed from office and the person with the most votes would replace him.
- Return your vote-by-mail ballot by mail with prepaid postage as long as it's postmarked by September 14, 2021 or in-person to a secure ballot drop box, to a voting location or your county elections office by 8:00 p.m. on September 14, 2021.
- In-person voting locations will offer voter registration, replacement ballots, accessible voting machines, and language assistance to those who need it.