Service Changes Currently in Effect
For current processing dates please visit the Notary Public Processing Times web page.
The Sacramento public counter is currently closed. In lieu of in-person service, apostille requests may be dropped off in the designated bin on the first floor. Once processed, the customer will be notified by phone that their request may be retrieved between 2:00 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. in the first-floor lobby. Please be mindful of the following:
- A fee of $20.00 per Apostille (Check or Money Order, cash is not accepted) made payable to the Secretary of State must be included.
- A $6.00 Special Handling fee is required in Sacramento due to the availability of document pick-up service.
- Requests will be processed on a first in, first out basis. Typically, one to two business days.
- Documents will be returned by mail to the address indicated on the cover sheet unless pickup is requested.
Our Los Angeles office located in the Ronald Reagan building is currently closed to the public. However, staff are on site daily and continue to process documents submitted to the drop box on the 12th floor each day and are returning the documents by mail. When submitting documents to the drop box, include the following with your submission:
1. Documents needing an apostille; and
2. $20.00 per Apostille (Check or Money Order, cash is not accepted) made payable to the Secretary of State; and
3. A Completed Cover Sheet (provided near the drop box); include your mailing address and the country where
the document will be used.
Place your documents, payment, and cover sheet in one of the envelopes provided and then place the envelope in the drop box. Once your apostille request is completed your documents will be mailed back via USPS to the address provided on the cover sheet unless a self-addressed stamped envelope is provided. Same-day service not available at this time.
Apostilles for Death Certificates – Death Certificates submitted to the California Secretary of State’s office for an apostille will be processed immediately upon receipt and returned via FedEx once complete. Please forward apostille requests for death certificates submitted by mail to the following address:
Secretary of State
Notary Public Section
1500 11th Street, 2nd Floor
Sacramento, CA 95814
ATTN: Vital Record
The California Secretary of State provides an Apostille to authenticate California public officials' signatures on documents to be used outside the United States of America.
There are two ways to obtain an Apostille in California:
By Mail - An Apostille can be requested by mail through our Sacramento office.
In Person - An Apostille can be requested in person at our Sacramento and Los Angeles offices.
Note: If a birth or death certificate has the signature of a Health Officer or County Registrar (e.g. Local Registrar, Registrar of Vital Records), prior to presenting to our office for authentication, one of the following will be required:
- have that birth or death certificate certified by the county clerk’s office in the county in which it was issued; or
- obtain a certified copy of that birth or death certificate from the county recorder or State of California Department of Public Health.
For more information, visit our Apostille Frequently Asked Questions webpage.