2022 California Student Mock Election FAQs (PDF)
When will the 2022 California Student Mock Election take place?
- The 2022 California Student Mock Election will take place on Tuesday, October 11.
Who can participate in the Student Mock Election?
- The 2022 California Student Mock Election is open to all middle and high schools in the state of California. Other school-affiliated or educational organizations have also participated in past Student Mock Elections. If your organization is interesting in participating in the 2022 event, please contact MyVote@sos.ca.gov for more information.
How do schools sign up for the Student Mock Election?
Schools must register online for the Student Mock Election. Registration will be available starting in April of 2022.
Each school must select a Student Mock Election Coordinator who will be the point of contact for information and materials related to the Student Mock Election. Schools will also be asked to provide the total population of their school, the estimated number of participating students, as well as to indicate whether their school will conduct their voting with electronic or paper ballots.
How do students participate in the Student Mock Election?
- Students must be enrolled at a registered school in order to participate in the Student Mock Election. If you are unsure whether or not your school plans to participate in the Student Mock Election, we encourage you to share the Student Flyer located on our Getting Started page with your principal or favorite teachers and encourage them to register your school.
My school registered for a previous Student Mock Election. Does the school have to register again?
- Yes. Schools must register for each Student Mock Election and designate a coordinator for that mock election.
Is there a deadline to register for the Student Mock Election?
There are two important deadlines for the Student Mock Election.
September 19, 2022, is the last day to register and receive a Student Mock Election Supply Kit in the mail, if requested. Schools that register after September 19 will receive instructions allowing them to download and print Student Mock Election materials from our website.October 5, 2022, is the last day to register for the Student Mock Election.
How does Student Mock Election voting take place?
Schools can conduct their voting electronically or in person. If you are conducting voting in person, you can set up polling locations on campus or have students vote in their classrooms. If you want to conduct your voting electronically, the Secretary of State Student Mock Election team will provide both a Google Forms and an interactive PDF version of the ballot along with voting instructions.Whether you conduct your voting electronically or in person, vote tallies must be submitted to your Student Mock Election Coordinator, who will enter the school-wide total on the Student Mock Election website. For more ideas about how to make the voting experience educational and engaging for your students, visit Ideas for Your Mock Election.
How do schools report their Student Mock Election voting results?
Schools may use the School Vote Reporting Form to tabulate their school-wide voting results at the conclusion of their mock election. If voting is taking place in classrooms, schools are welcome to create their own classroom reporting forms or distribute copies of the School Vote Reporting Form for each teacher. However, results will need to be combined into campus-wide totals before they are submitted to the Secretary of State’s Office.
The mock election coordinator for each school will need to log on to their account and enter their results. For more details, please visit the Instructions for Tabulating and Reporting on our Tools for Success page.
What if my school can’t vote on Tuesday, October 11?
- Early voting will be available for the Student Mock Election beginning on October 1, 2022. Schools may begin reporting their results on this date by logging in to their account on the Student Mock Election website.
When will the results of the Student Mock Election be announced?
- 2022 California Student Mock Election results will be posted to the Student Mock Election website beginning at 5:00pm on Mock Election Day: Tuesday, October 11, 2022. The final results will be announced on Friday, October 14, 2022.
What issues will students vote on in the Student Mock Election?
- During the 2022 California Student Mock Election, students will be able to cast their vote for Governor of California, United States Senator, and ballot measures that have been placed on the November 8, 2022, General Election ballot.
How can I learn more about the candidates and ballot propositions for the Student Mock Election?
- You can read about the candidates and measures that will appear on the Student Mock Election ballot in our Student Mock Election Voter Information Guide, which will be available in September 2022.