The California University and College Ballot Bowl, developed by the California Students Vote Project (SVP), is a friendly competition in which all of California’s major higher education institutions—the California Community College (CCC), California State University (CSU), University of California (UC), and the Association of Independent California Colleges and Universities (AICCU)—are invited to compete to register the most students to vote.
The California Students Vote Project is excited to host the 2022 College University and Ballot Bowl Competition.
2022 Ballot Bowl Competition Dates:
August 15, 2022 – November 8, 2022
Ballot Bowl Results
View the past winners here (https://caballotbowl.sos.ca.gov), and the number of students registered to vote broken down by institution.
Which voter registrations are counted in the competition?
- Online registration
- Physical voter registration
- Physical voter registration cards can be requested by campuses from the Secretary of State’s office
Who can register to vote?
When registering students to vote on your campus, please make it clear that voters must meet specific criteria before they can register. You can only register to vote if you are:
- A United States citizen and a resident of California,
- Not currently serving a state or federal prison term for the conviction of a felony (for more information on the rights of people who have been incarcerated, please see Voting Rights: Persons with a Criminal History), and
- Not currently found mentally incompetent to vote by a court (for more information, please see Voting Rights: Persons Subject to Conservatorship)
- Eligible Californians who are 16 or 17 years old are able to pre-register to vote, with their voter registration becoming active when they turn 18 years old (for more information, please see Pre-Register at 16, Vote at 18)
If you are not eligible to register to vote, you can still get involved with the election process by helping to register other students to vote, promoting the competition, or volunteering to be a poll worker. For poll worker eligibility, please visit (https://pollworker.sos.ca.gov/s/)