What is the California University and College Ballot Bowl?
Established in 2018, the California University and College Ballot Bowl is a friendly competition where higher education systems compete to register the most college students to vote. The California Secretary of State Students Vote Project hosts the California University and College Ballot Bowl biennially.
The purpose of the California University and College Ballot Bowl is to:
- Engage students to become active participants in our democracy.
- Motivate campuses to adopt and implement policies that boost civic engagement and participation.
- Showcase best practices and civic engagement efforts on California campuses.
How to Play
Eligible campuses include:
- 116 California Community College (CCC)
- 23 California State University (CSU)
- 10 University of California (UC)
- 80+ Association of Independent California Colleges and Universities (AICCU)
The California Secretary of State Students Vote Project tracks campus student voter registration with the following tools:
Online voter registration
- RegisterToVote.ca.gov/?t=s (*Please promote this unique link when registering college students)
*Registration for TurboVote and CAStudentVote.org will be tracked through the unique voter registration link.
Physical voter registration
- Physical voter registration cards (VRCs) can be requested by campuses from the California Secretary of State’s office. Please note on the form that you are requesting cards for the Ballot Bowl competition.
- Find the VRC request form here: https://elections.cdn.sos.ca.gov/vrdis.pdf
- Email completed VRC form to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
How can your campus win?
- Overall Champion
- One campus will be awarded overall champion with the highest number of student voter registrations across all higher education systems.
- There will be awards given in each higher education system for the categories below:
- Highest number of students registered with the exception of the overall champion
- Highest percentage of student body registered
- Most creative approach to registering students
- Your campus can only win one award.
Check campus progress
Student voter registration numbers are updated weekly throughout the competition.
Use this link to view campus progress: https://caballotbowl.sos.ca.gov.
It is strongly encouraged to collaborate and engage with student clubs, organizations, and leaders on your campus throughout the competition.
Below is a list of methods to help increase engagement:
- Host voter registration tables at campus events.
- Register students to vote during orientation or move-in day.
- Print and distribute voter education materials in residential halls and other common areas on campus.
- Post voter registration and education messaging on social media and other relevant campus websites.
2024 Ballot Bowl Competition Dates
Monday, August 12, 2024 – Tuesday, November 5, 2024
*Check back for additional 2024 Ballot Bowl information and resources.
2022 Overall Champion: Stanford University
View video of the 2022 Ballot Bowl Virtual Awards Ceremony where all winners are highlighted for their achievements.