Customer Alert: Update as of December 28, 2022
As a result of continued widespread transmission of COVID-19 and the direction of the California Department of Public Health and CalHR, the Secretary of State continues to make every attempt to ensure the safety of our customers and employees while continuing to offer essential services.
The Los Angeles office located in the Ronald Reagan building. In lieu of in-person service, apostille requests may be dropped off in the designated drop box located on the 12th floor. Once processed, the customer will be notified by phone that their request may be retrieved between 2:00 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. on the 12th floor. Please be mindful of the following:
- A fee of $20.00 per Apostille (Check or Money Order, cash is not accepted) made payable to the Secretary of State must be included.
- A $6.00 Special Handling fee is required in Los Angeles for each different public official's signature to be authenticated.
- Requests will be processed on a first in, first out basis. For updated processing times please visit our website at: https://www.sos.ca.gov/notary/processing-times
- Documents will be returned by mail to the address indicated on the cover sheet unless pickup is requested.
- See Apostille Frequently Asked Questions
- Get Contact Information
Place your documents, payment, and cover sheet in one of the envelopes provided and then place the envelope in the drop box. Once your apostille request is completed your documents will be mailed back via USPS to the address provided on the cover sheet unless a self-addressed stamped envelope is provided. Same-day service not available at this time.
For fastest service, we encourage you to go online when possible at bizfileOnline.sos.ca.gov. Online submissions will have priority over drop-off and mail submissions. Please note: Substituted Service of Process Service is not available in the Los Angeles office.