Customer Alert: Update as of March 3, 2021
As a result of widespread transmission of COVID-19 and the direction of the California Department of Public Health and CalHR, the Secretary of State continues to make every attempt to ensure the safety of our customers and employees while continuing to offer essential services to the public.
Document pickup resumed for the Sacramento office on March 1, 2021. Daily pickup will continue in the Sacramento lobby from 2:00 pm to 2:30 pm. As a reminder, expedited services and the 72-hour rule remain suspended. Documents that are eligible for daily pickup include business entity filings, statements of information, records requests, uniform commercial code documents, and apostilles. As a result of lobby pickup resuming, we will also charge the applicable special handling fee for any documents dropped off in the Sacramento lobby.
Los Angeles Office
Although the public counter remains closed, the Los Angeles office is accepting documents through drop boxes located in the main lobby. Documents may be dropped off Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Staff in the Los Angeles office continue to process the documents submitted in the drop box each day and are returning the documents by mail.
For fastest service, we encourage you to go online when possible at bizfile.sos.ca.gov. Online submissions will have priority over drop-off and mail submissions.
Los Angeles Office Services
The Los Angeles office distributes forms and informational materials and provides the following drop-off services:
- Apostilles: Authenticating a public official’s signature including notaries public.
- Domestic Partners: Filing Domestic Partnership forms (to register, terminate or revoke a termination).
- Corporations: Processing corporation name reservation requests and filing Articles of Incorporation to form a California corporation (excluding articles containing a statement of conversion which must be filed in the Sacramento office) or Statement and Designation by Foreign Corporation forms to qualify an out-of-state or out-of-country corporation to transact business in California.
Requests for services other than those identified above must be directed to the Sacramento office.
Tips For Submission
Following are a few important points to remember when submitting requests to the Los Angeles office:
- All requests must be dropped off in person.
- Special handling fees are charged for all in-person requests. Special handling fees are in addition to regular fees for such services; are applicable each time a request is submitted; and should be provided separate from other applicable fees.
- Special handling fee for processing an Apostille request: $6.00
- Special handling fee for filing a domestic partnership document: $15.00
- Special handling fee for filing a corporate formation document: $15.00
- Special handling fee for reserving a corporate name: $10.00
- Fees collected at the Los Angeles office location may be submitted by check, money order, or credit card (Visa or Mastercard). Checks should be made payable to the Secretary of State. Cash is not accepted at the Los Angeles Office.
Office Hours, Addresses, Phone Numbers & Driving Directions
Office hours are Monday through Friday - 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., excluding state holidays.
Los Angeles Office
300 South Spring Street, Room 12513
Los Angeles, CA 90013
Sacramento Main Office
1500 11th Street
Sacramento, CA 95814