Customer Alert: Update as of December 30, 2020
As a result of widespread transmission of COVID-19 and the direction of the California Department of Public Health, the Secretary of State continues to make every attempt to ensure the safety of our customers and employees while still offering essential services to the public.
With these goals in mind, both our Sacramento and Los Angeles offices are closed to the public with drop box(es) in both lobbies to drop documents off for processing. All documents are deemed submitted at 5:00 p.m. on the date dropped off and being returned by mail. Submissions must include checks or money orders for the processing fees. Special handling fees are waived.
For fastest service, we encourage you to go online when possible at bizfile.sos.ca.gov. Online submissions will have priority over drop-off and mail submissions. If an online service in not available, you may include a prepaid airway bill and return envelope that we will use to return your documents.
The following services are suspended, until further notice:
- Expedite and preclearance services.
- Sacramento lobby pick-up thus special handling fees are waived.
- 72-Hour Rule.
For faster service, all documents normally submitted to the Los Angeles office should be mailed to the Sacramento office:
Secretary of State
Notary Public Section
1500 11th Street, 2nd Floor
Sacramento, CA 95814
Los Angeles Office Services
The Los Angeles office distributes forms and informational materials and provides the following drop-off services:
- Apostilles: Authenticating a public official’s signature including notaries public.
- Domestic Partners: Filing Domestic Partnership forms (to register, terminate or revoke a termination).
- Corporations: Processing corporation name reservation requests and filing Articles of Incorporation to form a California corporation (excluding articles containing a statement of conversion which must be filed in the Sacramento office) or Statement and Designation by Foreign Corporation forms to qualify an out-of-state or out-of-country corporation to transact business in California.
Requests for services other than those identified above must be directed to the Sacramento office.
Tips For Submission
Following are a few important points to remember when submitting requests to the Los Angeles office:
- All requests must be dropped off in person.
- Special handling fees are charged for all in-person requests. Special handling fees are in addition to regular fees for such services; are applicable each time a request is submitted; and should be provided separate from other applicable fees.
- Special handling fee for processing an Apostille request: $6.00
- Special handling fee for filing a domestic partnership document: $15.00
- Special handling fee for filing a corporate formation document: $15.00
- Special handling fee for reserving a corporate name: $10.00
- Fees collected at the Los Angeles office location may be submitted by check, money order, or credit card (Visa or Mastercard). Checks should be made payable to the Secretary of State. Cash is not accepted at the Los Angeles Office.
Office Hours, Addresses, Phone Numbers & Driving Directions
Office hours are Monday through Friday - 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., excluding state holidays.
Los Angeles Office
300 South Spring Street, Room 12513
Los Angeles, CA 90013
Sacramento Main Office
1500 11th Street
Sacramento, CA 95814