Welcome to bizfile California, the Secretary of State’s new online portal to help businesses file, search, and order business records. Whether you are filing a financing statement pursuant to the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC), searching for a corporation (Corp), limited liability company (LLC), limited partnership (LP) filing or looking for an immigration consultant, this hub consolidates all your online filing and search needs.
Our Sacramento lobby will be open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Our public counters in Sacramento remain closed. Public access beyond the first floor will not be granted. However, we will accept drop off documents in our Sacramento lobby. Submissions must include the required filing fee in the form of check or money order only.
Expedite/Preclearance Drop Off: Effective Wednesday, June 24, 2020, we will resume limited Expedited/Preclearance services for business filings in Sacramento, as follows:
- 24 Hour Expedite Fee: $350 plus filing fee; and
- 24 Hour Preclearance Fee: $500.
Customers wanting these 24-hour expedite/preclearance services are asked to drop their document with separate checks or money orders (no cash or credit cards) for the fee and expedite/preclearance service in the Business Entities Drop Box in the Sacramento first floor lobby. Clearly mark your drop-off envelope with “24-hour Expedite”. All other expedited/preclearance services remain suspended.
Expedite/Preclearance Pickup: Effective Monday, September 21, 2020, the daily pick up time will move to 2:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. Resuming the expedite/preclearance services applies only to business filings including Statements of Information submitted in the Sacramento office. This does not apply to Apostilles, Domestic Partnerships, or other non-related business filings.
Regular BE Counter Filings Pickup: Effective Monday, September 21, 2020, the daily pick up time will move to 2:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. This regular counter filings pickup only applies to business entity filings and does not apply to Statements of Information, Apostilles, Domestic Partnerships, or other non-related business filings at this time.
Notary and Special Filings, Uniform Commercial Code, Apostille, Domestic Partnerships and regular Statements of Information drop off submissions will continue to be returned via USPS or an overnight mail service (FedEx, UPS, DHL) providing you include a prepaid self-addressed airway bill.
Regular Counter Drop Offs will continue to be processed on a first in, first out basis. Filing fees are required to be paid by check or money order with your dropped off document using the locked drop boxes in the Sacramento lobby. We ask that you use the envelopes provided and clearly mark what section the submissions should be delivered.
Counter Service Fees of $15 for Business Entities Filings and $10 for Business Entities Records will resume and should be presented in separate checks or money orders from other applicable filing fees. No cash or credit cards at this time.
72-hour Rule for Rejected Counter Filings will be reinstated on Wednesday, June 24, 2020, for Business Entity and Statement of Information submissions provided the submitter requests the specific date on their counter sheet.
You are strongly encouraged to utilize our online tools at bizfile.sos.ca.gov:
- Corporation Formations (NEW for domestic stock corporations)
- Corporation Statements of Information
- LLC Formations
- LLC Statements of Information
- LLC Terminations
- Trademarks Registrations and Modifications
- UCC Online
- California Business Search
- Eureka Chatbot
Los Angeles Office
Effective Monday, August 3, 2020, our Los Angeles Regional office will be open to the public between 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m., with limited staff and services processing Apostilles and Domestic Partnership filings. Los Angeles will continue to handle traffic with our “Now Serving” sign by helping four customers at a time while other customers wait on the second floor until their number is called. Again, you are encouraged to submit documents to the Sacramento office via mail.
Extension of Notary Public Commissions
On May 8, 2020, Governor Newsom signed Executive Order N-63-20 (see paragraphs 6 and 7), extending commissions of notaries public for a period of 60 days for any notary public whose commission term has expired since March 1, 2020 or whose commission is set to expire over the next 60 days.
On June 30, 2020, Governor Newsom signed Executive Order N-71-20 extending the time frames in Executive Order N-63-20 an additional 120 days.
Notary public commission terms that expired anytime between March 1, 2020 and May 7, 2020, have been extended until November 3, 2020.
Notary public commission terms that expired after May 7, 2020 through November 3, 2020, are extended for 180 days on a rolling basis (i.e., someone whose commission expires on May 8, 2020, will have their commission extended until November 4, 2020, and someone whose commission expires on November 3, 2020 will have their commission extended until May 2, 2021).
This extension is valid provided the notary public whose commission term has been extended, maintains a valid surety bond during the extension, and annotates on each notarial act the following statement: “The notary commission extended pursuant to Executive Order N-63-20.”
Acceptance of Expired California Driver’s Licenses and Identification Cards
As a result of Executive Order N-63-20, California Drivers Licenses and Identification cards that expired on March 1, 2020 or later, must be accepted for a period of 60 days by California notaries public to establish satisfactory evidence of the individual appearing before them. Our office recommends that notaries public annotate in their journal the expired Driver’s License or Identification Card was accepted due to Executive Order N-63-20.
How Do I Learn More About?
- Start a Business
- Find Forms, Samples, and Fees
- Register or Terminate a Business
- Start a Cannabis-related Business (cannabizfile)
- Check Name Reservations
- File a Statement of Information
- Find FAQs
- Current Processing Dates
- Status of Online LLC Formation/Termination Submission
- Serve Legal Papers (Service of Process) on a Business Entity
- Submit a Victims of Corporate Fraud claim
- Obtain, View, and Print Copies of Business Entity Records (Corp, LLC, LP)
- Order Copies of Business Entity Records Unavailable Online - Business Entity Records Order Form (PDF)
- Order Certified Copies - Business Entity Records Order Form (PDF)
- Order Certificates - Business Entity Records Order Form (PDF)
- Online Certified Copy Verification
Trademarks and Service Marks
- Find Forms and Fees
- Register a Trademark/Service Mark
- Search for Registered Trademarks and Service Marks
- Find FAQs
Bonds and Other Filings
- Find Forms and Fees
- Register a Filing
- Find Immigration Consultant Qualification Requirements
- Find FAQs
Uniform Commercial Code
Notary Public and Apostille
- Become a Notary Public
- Find Forms, Services & Fees
- Find an Approved Education Vendor
- Request an Apostille
- Verify Issuance of an Apostille
- Find Current Processing Times for Notary Public Applications & Apostille
- Find FAQs
- Submit a Complaint Against a Notary Public
- Become an Approved Education Vendor
- Become a Notary Public Seal Manufacturer
- Download list of active Notaries Public
- Find Notary Public Handbook
- Find Notary Public Newsletter
- Find Notary Public Disciplinary Guidelines