Business Search - Search Tips
The following tips may be used to refine or modify searches for a particular entity by entity number or entity name:
Entity Number Search
- The entity number is the identification number issued to the entity by the California Secretary of State at the time the entity formed, qualified, registered or converted in California.
- If searching for a corporation, enter the letter "C" followed by the applicable seven-digit entity number.
Example: Searching for C0254285 will return X,Y,Z CORPORATION. Searching for 0254285 will return no results.
- If searching for a limited liability company or limited partnership, enter the applicable 12-digit entity number.
Example: Searching for 200100410071 will return RESEARCH & RETRIEVAL, LLC. Searching for 0100410071 will return no results.
Entity Name Search
- Punctuation should be omitted. If the entity name includes initials followed by periods, remove the periods and group the initials to form one word.
Examples: Searching DARE will return entity names containing DARE and D.A.R.E. Searching D.A.R.E. will not return entity names containing D.A.R.E.
If the entity name includes intitials and/or a string of characters followed by periods and spaces, remove the periods but do not remove the spaces.
Examples: Searching A. B. C. ESCROW CO. or ABC ESCROW CO will return no entity names and searching A B C ESCROW CO will return
the entity A. B. C. ESCROW CO.
- A quotation mark and the character or word that precedes or follows the quotation mark should be omitted.
Examples: Searching & E PLUMBING & HEATING will return the entity "T & E PLUMBING & HEATING CO." Searching "T & E PLUMBING
& HEATING CO." will return no entity names.
- For best results, distinctive words should be used when searching, if possible. Searching a distinctive word will narrow the search results.
Examples of distinctive words: compensatory, hickory, metrix.
Examples of nondistinctive words: data, systems, services.
- For limited results, search multiple words. Searching multiple words will return a list of only those entities containing all of the search words.
Note, including a word that is not part of the entity name may result in no matching record.
Examples: Searching ADVANCED DATA will return all
entity names containing both words such as ADVANCED DATA COMMUNICATIONS LLC and ADVANCED DATA PROTECTION SERVICES, INC. Searching ADVANCED DATA COMMUNICATIONS
will return only those entity names containing all three words such as ADVANCED DATA COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS and ADVANCED DATA COMMUNICATIONS LLC
- For more inclusive results, search a single word. Searching a single word will return a list of all entities containing that word in the entity name.
Examples: Searching SIMPLE will return all entity names containing the word SIMPLE such as SIMPLE INC., SIMPLE DESIGN, INC. and MAKE IT SIMPLE, LLC.
- Spacing and plurals will make a difference in the search results.
Examples: Searching AAA SIGNS will return AAA SIGNS, INC. Searching AAA SIGN
or A A A SIGNS will not return AAA SIGNS, INC.
- Omit words that are too common such as "THE", "AND", "OF", "CALIFORNIA", "INC", "INCORPORATED",
"CORP" "CORPORATION", "LLC", "LP", "LIMITED," "LTD" and "PARTNERSHIP". Words that are too
common are ignored by the search.
- Additional entity name search examples:
- To find: A.B.C. Enterprises, LLC, enter abc enterprises
- To find: A. C. T. Computers, enter A C T Computers
- To find: X,Y,Z Corporation, enter x y z
- To find: Friends of Yosemite Center, enter friends yosemite
- To find: A.H. Alumni Association, enter ah alumni
- To find: Research & Retrieval LLC, enter research retrieval
- To find: 2333 E. 4th St., Inc., enter 2333 4th
- To find: L.A. Data Systems, LLC, enter la data systems
- To find: All names with "Auburn," enter auburn
- The search is NOT case sensitive. All letters, regardless of how they are typed, will be understood as uppercase.
If you are not able to locate an entity record, you may request a more extensive search by ordering a status report. For information on ordering a status report, refer to Information Requests.
Disclaimer: This tool allows you to search the Secretary of State's California Business Search database for abstracts of information for domestic stock, domestic nonprofit and qualified foreign corporations, limited liability companies and limited partnerships that have filed with this office. This search tool groups corporations separately from limited liability companies and limited partnerships and returns all entities for the search criteria in the respective groups regardless of the current status.
Although every attempt has been made to ensure that the information contained in the database is accurate, the Secretary of State's office is not responsible for any loss, consequence, or damage resulting directly or indirectly from reliance on the accuracy, reliability, or timeliness of the information that is provided. All such information is provided "as is." For information on ordering copies of the official business entity records for a particular entity, please refer to Information Requests.