How do I find out the category of lobbying activity of a particular lobbyist employer?

  1. Go to the "Lobbying Activity" page. (You may also reach this site from the Secretary of State's Home Page - by clicking on "Lobbying Activity & Finance" under "Political Reform.")
  2. Select "Lobbyist Employers."
  3. The names of lobbyist employers for the current legislative session will be displayed alphabetically. You may view a list of lobbyist employers for previous sessions by selecting "Historical" under "Legislative Session."
  4. Click on the "Lobbyist Employer" in which you are interested.
  5. Under "View," select "Financial Activity/Filing History." Under "Legislative Session," you may select a display regarding a previous legislative session if you are not interested in the current legislative session.
  6. Scroll down the page until "Electronic Filings" appear. Look for a link that says "LOBBYING FIRM ACTIVITY AUTHORIZATION (F602)" OR "LOBBYIST EMPLOYER OR LOBBYING COALITION REGISTRATION STATEMENTS (F603)." Click on that link.
  7. Form 602 (Lobbying Firm Activity Authorization) or Form 603 (Lobbyist Employer/Lobbying Coalition Registration Statement) will be displayed. Section E on Page 2 of these forms includes a list of "Industry Group Classifications." View this section to determine which box has been checked by the lobbyist employer.
  8. "Advanced Search" You may also view "Lobbyist Employers" categories by utilizing "Advanced Search" as explained in the answer to Question 3. From the "California Filings Searchable Database" page, click on "Lobbying - Employer Category" in the right-hand column of the page. Enter the requested data and click on "Search." It may take several seconds to process the request. If nothing seems to happen when you click on "Search," wait a few seconds and the request is likely to be processed and the requested information will be displayed.