How do I use "Advanced Search" to view lobbying financial activity and other information?
"Advanced Search" allows you to search the Cal-Access database to display information about a multitude of subjects. For example, you can find out how a lobbyist employer or lobbying firm ranks based on payments received or made for lobbying activity. A great deal of other information is available through "Advanced Search." To use "Advanced Search":
- Find the "Advanced Search" link located in the upper left-hand portion of almost any Cal-Access menu page. Click on that link. It may take several seconds to process the request. If nothing seems to happen when you click on the link, wait a few seconds and the request is likely to be processed and the requested information will be displayed. This will bring up the "California Filings Searchable Database" page. The lobbying activity search functions are in the right-hand column.
- On this page, there are numerous options. Click on the one in which you are interested. It may take several seconds for your request to be processed. If nothing seems to happen when you click on the link, wait a few seconds and the request is likely to be processed and the requested information will be displayed.
- When using "Advanced Search," be sure to use the date and monetary formats indicated. (mm/dd/yyyy and 999,999,999)
- When using "Advanced Search," be sure to use the "Search" button on the website rather than the "Enter" key on your keyboard.
- If you receive the message: "Your search returned more than the maximum allowed. Please refine you search," try narrowing your search by specifying a shorter time period or a higher minimum amount in case of contributions or expenditures.