How do I find out whether a lobbying firm has made political contributions involving a state candidate, officeholder, or committee?

Lobbying firms must disclose on their quarterly reports (Form 625) the state candidates, officeholders or committees to whom they have made campaign contributions, if any contributions have been made. (Government Code section 86114(a)(7)) To view these reports:

  1. Go to the "Lobbying Activity" page. (You may also reach this site from the Secretary of State's home page - by clicking on "Lobbying Activity & Finance" under "Political Reform.")
  2. Click on "Lobbying Firms."
  3. Select the lobbying firm in which you are interested.
  4. Select "Financial Activity/Filing History" and the desired "Legislative Session."
  5. Click on the "Report of Lobbying Firm (F625)" in the "Electronic Filings" portion for the quarter of interest. A copy of the report will be displayed. View the information in Paragraph E of the "Summary of Payments This Period" portion on the first page and Part IV, if applicable.

Note: A state lobbying firm or other business entity may not contribute to a state candidate or elected official if the firm or entity is owned in whole or in part by a lobbyist and the lobbyist participates in the decision to make the contribution, if the lobbyist would be prohibited from making the contribution pursuant to Government Code section 85702. (2 California Code of Regulations section 18572)

A detailed chart on California Contribution Limits is available on the Fair Political Practices Commission website.