How do I find information in Cal-Access about committees supporting or opposing proposed state ballot measures that have not qualified for the ballot?
The "Candidates & Elected Officials" campaign finance page is the starting point to find out basic information regarding a state candidate's or state elected official's campaign finances. To obtain this information, do the following:
Note: This website only contains financial information regarding committees that are supporting or opposing proposed state rather than local measures and have filed online or electronically with the Secretary of State.
- Go to the "Campaign Finance" page. (You may also reach this site from the Secretary of State's Home Page - by clicking on "Campaign Finance" under "Political Reform.")
- If the measure has qualified for the state ballot, see answer to Question 2. (You may also click on "Propositions and Ballot Measures." Measures that have qualified for the ballot will be listed. Clicking on the applicable links will take you to committees supporting or opposing the measures, if committees to support or oppose the measures have been formed.)
- To obtain more information about proposed state measures that are in circulation, go to the "Ballot Measures" page.
- If You Know the Committee Name If you know the name of the committee primarily formed to support or oppose the qualification, you may be able to access financial data of the committee by clicking on "Committees, Parties, Major Donors & Slate Mailers." Select "All" for "Type," the desired "Election Cycle," and the committee in which you are interested from the alphabetized list.
- If You Know the Identification Number of the Committee If you know the identification number of the primarily formed committee to support or oppose the qualification of the proposed measure, you can access the committee's data by going to "Cal-Access Search" in the upper left-hand corner of any Cal-Access page, entering the number and clicking on "GO." It may take several seconds to process the request.
- If You Don't Know the Name or Identification Number of the Committee If you don't know the name or identification number of the committee that may be supporting or opposing the proposed measure, you may be able to identify the committee and access its data by going to "Cal-Access Search" in the upper left-hand corner of any Cal-Access page. Enter a key word that might be in the name of the committee and click on "GO." It may take several seconds to process the request.
For example, suppose you are interested in finding committees that are supporting or opposing a proposed measure dealing with "marriage." By entering "marriage" in the "Cal-Access Search" in the upper left-hand corner and clicking on "GO," Cal-Access will display all of the committees that include in their names the word "marriage." Scroll down the list and select the committee to obtain information regarding that committee. See the answer to Question 7 for more information regarding "Cal-Access Search."
- "Advanced Search" Contributions and expenditures may also be viewed by utilizing "Advanced Search." See the answer to Question 8.