The Local Government Records Program (LoCal) is tasked by Government Code section 12236 to:
- Establish guidelines for local government records retention;
- Provide archival support and make supporting information available to local government agencies.
Virtual Office Hours
The Local Government Records Program hosts Office Hours every Thursday from 3 PM to 4 PM via Webex.
Reservations are not required. Everyone is welcome to drop-in.
LoCal seeks out partnerships and communication lines to bring local government records managers together on improving and adapting to changing records management techniques and practices – collaborating through forums, office hours, email, and training classes.
Guidebooks and Training
Our LoCal program analysts conduct research, gather information, and write reports on the best practices for records management, archives, and program development.
The State Archives also provides formal training courses on a number of records management topics.
Archives and Preservation Support
In addition to records management, the State Archives is home to leading experts in archival and long-term preservation of public records. Whether for building an entire local archives or just a single collection, we can offer guidance and support.
Records Management Policies and Procedures
Through coordination with local government agencies, LoCal sets uniform policies and rules, provides program support for their implementation, and works toward the goal of efficient and effective records management throughout the state.
The LoCal program is responsible for the following functions:
- · Function as the liaison for the State Archives with appropriate professional organizations.
- · Monitoring and reviewing changes in state laws and administrative regulations that pertain to local government records retention.
- · Monitor practices and procedures in records administration that have bearing on local government records retention and management.
- · Make supporting information about state laws and administrative regulations that pertain to local government records retention available to local government agencies.
- · Maintain communication with individual local government agencies.
- · Consult and provide information and advice to local government agencies on archival practices
- · Consult and provide information and advice to local government agencies on history and heritage