Issuance of a Single Authentication Certificate: Effective January 1, 2017, the California Secretary of State's office will begin issuing a single Authentication Certificate for documents to be used outside of the country rather than issuing either an Apostille or Certificate depending on the country of destination.
The California Secretary of State has a main office, located in Sacramento, and a regional office, located in Los Angeles.
Regional Office Services
The regional office distributes forms and informational materials and provides the following drop–off services:
- Authentication Certificates: Authenticating a public official’s signature including notaries public.
- Domestic Partners: Filing Domestic Partnership forms (to register, terminate or revoke a termination).
- Corporations: Processing corporation name reservation requests and filing Articles of Incorporation to form a California corporation (excluding articles containing a statement of conversion which must be filed in the Sacramento office) or Statement and Designation by Foreign Corporation forms to qualify an out–of–state or out–of–country corporation to transact business in California.
Requests for services other than those identified above must be directed to the Sacramento office.
Back to Top
Tips For Submission
Following are a few important points to remember when submitting requests to the regional office:
- All requests must be dropped off in person.
- Special handling fees are charged for authentication, filing and reservation requests. Special handling fees are in addition to regular fees for such services; are applicable each time a request is submitted; and should be provided separate from other applicable fees.
- Special handling fee for processing and preparing an authentication of a public official’s name: $6.00
- Special handling fee for filing a domestic partnership document: $15.00
- Special handling fee for filing a corporation document: $15.00
- Special handling fee for reserving a corporate name: $10.00
- Fees collected at the regional office location may be made by check, money order, or credit card (Visa or MasterCard). Checks should be made payable to the Secretary of State. The regional office is not able to accept cash.
Back to Top
Office Hours, Addresses, Phone Numbers & Driving Directions
Office hours are Monday through Friday - 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., excluding state holidays.
Sacramento Main Office
1500 11th Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
Sacramento Office - Driving Directions
Los Angeles Regional Office
300 South Spring Street, Room 12513
Los Angeles, CA 90013
Los Angeles Office - Driving Directions
Back to Top