Prior to taking the exam, it is recommended that the applicant review the Notary Public Handbook.
Allow plenty of travel time and bring the following items to the exam:
- A current photo identification (e.g. California Driver's License or Identification Card issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles);
- A complete current Notary Public Application form;
- A 2" x 2" color passport photo of yourself;
- The Proof of Completion certificate of your six-hour or three-hour approved education course;
- The registration confirmation letter; and
- The $40.00 exam and application processing fee (or $20.00 exam fee for applicants who previously took the exam and failed). Payment must be by check or money order made payable to the Secretary of State (cash is not accepted at the exam site).
Exam results will be available 15 business days after the examination. CPS HR Consulting will mail the exam results to applicants. A score of 70 or more is required to pass the exam. Exam results will not be discussed over the telephone.
Successful applicants (those receiving a score of 70 or more) will have their applications transmitted to the Secretary of State for processing.
Each applicant receiving a score of less than 70 will be mailed a fail notice with a re-take voucher. The examination may be re-taken, but may not be taken more than once in the same calendar month.
Checks returned by the financial institution upon which they were drawn are subject to a return fee and may be grounds for notary public application processing delay or notary public commission cancellation. (Government Code section 8204.1.)