Q: What is electronic filing?

Although there are many views of what is considered an electronic transmission, the Secretary of State considers a document to have been electronically filed if it successfully comes in through the available port using a TCP/IP method of uploading into the specified filing server. The filed document must be in the Secretary of State's current version of the Cal Format. (You can find a copy of the current version of the format at the Electronic Filing Information page.)

Note: The following methods are not considered nor accepted as electronic filing with our office: fax, email, floppy diskettes or CD's.

Q: Where on your web site can I look up my I.D. number?

Once an I.D. number has been issued, you can look it up on the Cal-Access website. Simply start by clicking in the Cal-Access "search field" at the upper left-hand portion of the screen, type in the name you would like to look up and click "go". A page will then show the results with the name and its assigned I.D. number.

Q: Who should I contact if I have a question or concern?

You should always first contact the electronic filing vendor that provides you with your filing software. If your filing vendor cannot assist you with your questions or concerns, you should next contact the Secretary of State. Depending on the nature of your question, Secretary of State staff will determine who can best respond to your needs. Please call the Political Reform Division at (916) 653-6224 and explain your problem. Your question will then be assigned to the appropriate person.

Q: Who should I contact if my electronic filing is being rejected?

If your problem has to do with your electronic filing being rejected and your vendor is not able to correct your filing, please call the Cal Online Help Desk at 1-877-745-3453.