Print Version (PDF)
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 16, 2020
SOS Press Office
Secretary of State Alex Padilla is Urging Californians to go Online to Promote Public Health
SACRAMENTO, CA - The State of California is taking proactive measures to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus. Among the steps being taken, Secretary of State Alex Padilla is strongly encouraging all California residents to use the Secretary of State’s online services.
“I urge all Californians to follow the guidance of the Governor and public health officials, and that includes social distancing to prevent the spread of COVID-19," Secretary of State Alex Padilla said. "Fortunately, the Secretary of State's office provides many services online, so Californians can continue to conduct their business with the state while avoiding a visit to our office or to the post office. This pandemic is forcing many of us to make significant changes to our lifestyles, but we are all in this together. If you need assistance with business filings, elections, archives, and more, the Secretary of State team is here to help."
- To register to vote or update your voter registration, please visit: https://registertovote.ca.gov/
- To verify the status of your voter registration, vote-by-mail ballot, or provisional ballot: https://voterstatus.sos.ca.gov/
- 25 counties offer a service for voters to receive automatic notifications on the status of their vote-by-mail ballot. For more information, visit: https://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/ballot-status/wheres-my-ballot/
Safe at Home:
Locate the enrollment agency for the Secretary of State's confidential address program nearest you by visiting: https://www.sos.ca.gov/registries/safe-home/where-find-enrolling-agency/
Business Programs Division:
Whether you are filing a financing statement pursuant to the Uniform Commercial Code, searching for a corporation, limited liability company, limited partnership filing or confirming the standing of an immigration consultant, the Secretary of State’s bizfile portal has all your online filing and search needs in one location. The following business transactions are available online at http://bizfile.sos.ca.gov/:
- Limited Liability Company (LLC) Formation, Statement of Information, and Termination.
- Corporation Statement of Information
- Trademark Registration and Trademark Modification
- Uniform Commercial Code
- To view digital collections and online exhibits: https://www.sos.ca.gov/archives/california-digital-archives/.
- Archives staff are available to assist with your research request via phone, email, or mail. For assistance with research, you can email email@example.com.
- For information about statewide records management, including filing Records Retention Schedules or guidance, you can visit: https://www.sos.ca.gov/archives/records-management-and-appraisal/ or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Political Reform Division:
Cal-Access provides financial information supplied by state candidates, donors, lobbyists, and others: http://cal-access.sos.ca.gov/
- Power Search provides quick and easy access to the source, recipient and amount of state campaign contributions and access to independent expenditures data. Campaign contribution searches provide useful summaries of information at the contributor, candidate, ballot measure and campaign committee levels with options for sorting and further exploring the data. To visit the PowerSearch website: http://powersearch.sos.ca.gov/quick-search.php
** Please note, not all transactions can be conducted online.
Individuals needing to conduct a transaction that is not available online and have concerns about visiting the Secretary of State’s office in person can call or email the following Secretary of State Divisions:
Elections: (916) 657-2166, email: https://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/contact/email-elections-division/
Business: (916) 657–5448, email(s): https://www.sos.ca.gov/business-programs/business-entities/contact/
Constituent services: (916) 653-6774, email: https://www.sos.ca.gov/administration/contact-information/email-administration/
Safe at Home: Toll-Free: (877) 322-5227, email: email@example.com
Political Reform Division: (916) 653-6224, email: https://www.sos.ca.gov/campaign-lobbying/contact-us/email-political-reform-division/
Archives: email: firstname.lastname@example.org
During this challenging time, we urge all Californians to continue to take all recommended public health precautions, including:
- Stay home when you are sick, except to get medical care.
- Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Clean frequently touched surfaces and objects.
- Practice social distancing and reviewing updates from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention