2016 Western Archives Institute
The 30th annual Western Archives Institute will be held at Santa Clara University* in Santa Clara, California.
Program dates to be determined
(Admission to the program is by application only and enrollment is limited)
2015 WAI Application Documents
What is Western Archives Institute:
The Western Archives Institute (WAI) is an intensive, two–week program that provides integrated instruction in basic archival practices to individuals with a variety of goals, including:
- those whose jobs require a fundamental understanding of archival skills, but have little or no previous archives education
- those who have expanding responsibility for archival materials
- those who are practicing archivists but have not received formal instruction
- those who demonstrate a commitment to an archival career
The Institute also features site visits to historical records repositories and a diverse curriculum that includes history and development of the profession, theory and terminology, records management, appraisal, arrangement, description, manuscripts acquisition, archives and the law, photographs, preservation administration, reference and access, outreach programs, and managing archival programs and institutions.
Western Archives Institute Faculty:
Core sessions of the Institute are taught by a leading archival educators. Prior Principal Faculty include Tim Ericson, Elizabeth Yakel, Elizabeth Dow, Rand Jimerson, David B. Gracy II, and Gregory S. Hunter. Additional sessions are taught by adjunct educators selected because of their knowledge based on a particular subject and professional recognition.
Western Archives Institute Fees:
- Tuition for the Institute is $700 and includes a selection of archival publications.
- Residents and commuters also pay a non–negotiable fee for program transportation, facility costs, opening dinner, and closing luncheon.*
- Housing and meal plans are available at additional cost.*
* Non–negotiable fee and housing/meal costs available February 2015.
2016 Application Deadline: March 4, 2016
2016 Application Forms Available January 1, 2016
2015 Application Forms - For Informational Purposes Only
2015 WAI Application (PDF)
2015 WAI Application (DOC)
Application Cover letter (PDF)
Local Arrangements (PDF)
Important Dates for 2015 WAI (PDF)
For additional information, contact:
Western Archives Institute
1020 O Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
Telephone: (916) 653–7715
Fax: (916) 653–7134
The Western Archives Institute is co–sponsored by the Society of California Archivists and the California State Archives.
*This event is not a function of Santa Clara University.