Print Version (PDF)
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 22, 2020
SOS Press Office
Secretary of State Alex Padilla Urges All
Californians to Confirm Registration Status on
National Voter Registration Day
SACRAMENTO, CA – Today is National Voter Registration Day, and Secretary of State Alex Padilla is encouraging all Californians to make sure they are registered to vote for the November 3, 2020 General Election.
"The 2020 General Election will be the most consequential election in a generation, and voter excitement is at a fever pitch," said Secretary of State Alex Padilla. "But for the many eligible Californians who have yet to register, National Voter Registration Day is the perfect time to sign up. Californians can register to vote in a matter of minutes at RegisterToVote.ca.gov."
"For the more than 21 million Californians who are already registered to vote, I encourage you to verify your registration status at VoterStatus.sos.ca.gov. Once you’ve confirmed that your voter registration—including your address—is up-to-date, sign up to track the status of your vote-by-mail ballot through California's official "Where's My Ballot?" tracking tool at WheresMyBallot.sos.ca.gov," Padilla added.
Californians should update their voter registration if they:
- change their name, or
- wish to change their political party preference.
Voting Begins in 13 Days
Starting on October 5, 2020:
- All counties will begin mailing ballots to every active, registered voter in California.
- Voters will be able to vote early, in-person at their county elections office.
Tips for Voters
Californians are encouraged to take the following steps to prepare for the General Election:
- Check your voter registration at VoterStatus.sos.ca.gov
- Update your voter registration if you've moved or changed your name at RegisterToVote.ca.gov
- Sign-up for automatic updates on the status of your vote-by-mail ballot at WheresMyBallot.sos.ca.gov
Voter Registration Deadline
October 19 is the traditional voter registration deadline for the November 3, 2020, General Election. If an eligible Californian misses the October 19 deadline, they can complete the Same Day Voter Registration process and cast their vote that day. However, this option is only available at county elections offices and in-person voting locations.