Print Version (PDF)
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 8, 2019
SOS Press Office
Secretary of State’s Office Launches New Online Tool for Trademark Modification Filings
SACRAMENTO, CA – Secretary of State Alex Padilla announced the launch of a new, online tool for trademark modifications to be filed online.
“The new online trademark modification tool will make the filing process more efficient for business owners and our staff,” Secretary of State Alex Padilla said. “By moving filings online, we reduce processing time and minimize potential errors. This is our latest step in modernizing how business is done in California.”
The new trademark modification tool provides the ability to file trademark renewals, assignments (transfers of ownership), and name changes online. In the 2018 – 2019 fiscal year, more than 1,000 of these modifications were filed with the Secretary of State’s office.
The trademark modification tool is the latest expansion of the Secretary of State’s bizfile California portal.
Tools available through bizfile California include:
- LLC Statement of Information Online Submission Tool - Since the initial bizfile launch in June 2017, more than one million online LLC Statements of Information filings have been processed. In the 2018-2019 fiscal year, 453,254 submissions were processed online.
- California Business Search Tool - More than 14.7 million Corporation, LLC, and LP records are available for free download.
- How to Start a Business in California brochure and check list.
- Trademark Online Submission Tool - There have been more than 12,220 submissions since the tool was launched January 2018.
- LLC Formation Online Submission Tool - Launched in May 2018, the documents required to form an LLC can now be filed online. Since launch, we have processed 156,578 LLC Formation online submissions.
- Eureka Chatbot - Our new artificial intelligence search assistant—launched May 2018—helps customers easily navigate business resources on the Secretary of State’s website. Eureka has already answered more than 91,850 questions.
- LLC Terminations Online Submission Tool - Launched in December 2018, the documents required to terminate an LLC can now be filed online. Since launch, we have processed 19,736 LLC Terminations online submissions.