FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
December 13, 2016
Jesse Melgar or Sam Mahood
Secretary of State Padilla Announces New California Business Search Tool
Provides Easy On-Line Access to More Than 5 Million Records
SACRAMENTO – In his latest effort to increase online access to state documents, Secretary of State Alex Padilla announced today the launch of a new California Business Search tool on the Secretary of State’s website.
The new and improved California Business Search tool provides access to more than 5.3 million records related to corporations, limited liability companies, and limited partnerships along with almost 5 million downloadable PDF images of Statements of Information.
“California Business Search allows anyone to search through the millions of records from their desktop or mobile device. It dramatically improves customer service and makes more business information easily accessible to the public online,” Padilla said.
“This is a big step in a big state. In the past, customers had to submit requests in-person or via mail to retrieve Statements of Information for corporations and limited liability companies. This is a major step forward for transparency and makes access to business records just a click away,” Padilla added.
The California Business Search tool features:
- Expanded search criteria making look ups easier than ever.
- Mobile friendly design
- Daily updates of data rather than twice a week.
- Addition of data relating to Statements of Information of record and general information regarding when the next Statement of Information is due.
- Access to available PDF images of Statements of Information of record.
- Improved search functionality, including the addition of “begins with,” and “exact match” search filters to the already existing “keyword” search.
- Sort options within search results allowing the user to sort by various fields including entity name, entity number, registration date, agent for service of process, status or jurisdiction.
- Additional search/filter capability to narrow search results by any data field.
- Addition of principal office address and mailing addresses of record.
- Addition of limited liability company management structure, indicating if a California limited liability company is managed by the members, multiple managers or one manager.
“With the California Business Search application receiving more than 5 million page visits per month, it was time to explore innovative solutions to provide the scale, security and agility required to support the growing demand for this critical service,” said Secretary Padilla. “Moving the California Business Search application to Microsoft Azure will deliver increased performance, enhanced resiliency and security, helping ensure the best possible user experience.”
“It has been a privilege to work with the California Secretary of State to deliver cost effective technologies they can trust to meet the needs of citizens they serve,” said Michael Donlan, Vice President, US State and Local Government at Microsoft.