April 2, 2013
Contact: Nicole Winger
Secretary of State Bowen Announces
Certified List of 16th Senate District Candidates
SACRAMENTO - Secretary of State Debra Bowen today announced the certified list of candidates who will appear on the May 21 Special Primary Election ballot for the 16th Senate District. The candidates and their official ballot designations are:
- Paulina Miranda (Party Preference: Democratic) – Businesswoman
- Leticia Perez (Party Preference: Democratic) – County Supervisor
- Francisco "Frank" Ramirez (Party Preference: Democratic) – Business Consultant
- Andy Vidak (Party Preference: Republican) – Farmer/Small Businessman
- Mohammad "O" Arif (Party Preference: Peace and Freedom) – Businessman
The Senate District 16 special election is being held to fill the vacancy left by Michael Rubio, who resigned after accepting a job in the private sector.
In a special primary, if one candidate receives a majority of the votes cast (50 percent plus one), no additional election is necessary. If no candidate receives a majority of the votes, a run-off election will be held on July 23, with a ballot featuring the two candidates who received the most votes in the primary, regardless of party preference.
The official certified list of candidates with contact information is at www.sos.ca.gov/elections/special-elections/2013-sd16/certified-list.pdf.