January 22, 2013
Contact: Nicole Winger
Secretary of State Bowen Announces
Certified List of 32nd Senate District Candidates
SACRAMENTO - Secretary of State Debra Bowen today announced the certified list of candidates who will appear on the March 12 Special Primary Election ballot for the 32nd Senate District. The candidates and their official ballot designations are:
- Paul Vincent Avila (Party Preference: Democratic) – Council Member
- Joanne T. Gilbert (Party Preference: Democratic) – Retired Teacher
- Norma J. Torres (Party Preference: Democratic) – Legislator
- Larry Walker (Party Preference: Democratic) – San Bernardino County Auditor-Controller)
- Kenny Coble (Party Preference: Republican) – Planning Commissioner/Businessman
- Paul S. Leon (Party Preference: Republican) – Mayor of Ontario
The Senate District 32 special election is being held to fill the vacancy left by Gloria Negrete McLeod, who resigned after being elected to the U.S. House of Representatives.
In a special primary, if one candidate receives a majority of the votes cast (50 percent plus one), no additional election is necessary. If no candidate receives a majority of the votes, a run-off election will be held on May 14, with a ballot featuring the two candidates who received the most votes in the primary, regardless of party preference.
The official certified list of candidates with contact information is at www.sos.ca.gov/elections/special-elections/2013-sd32/certified-list.pdf.