Serving as a poll worker is an important and challenging job. There are many rules and regulations that must be followed on Election Day. Given the diversity of the state’s population, geography, voting systems and more, training methods will vary by county, but the information provided in these standards will help elections officials train their poll workers on how to best perform their duties.
These standards do not replace county poll worker training materials or resources. They are intended to provide elections officials with the information needed to provide training and written materials to their poll workers.
Moreover, the presentation of these standards is not meant to be prescriptive. Elections officials may present the information in the order or format that works best for their poll worker training sessions.
These 2020 revised standards reflect lessons learned and changes in state law that have taken effect since the original standards were published in 2006. These standards will be improved and supplemented in the future, as every election provides new opportunities to learn and improve everyone’s skills as an elections official.
Revised September 2020
COVID-19 Health and Safety Measure
- Poll Worker - CA COVID 19 Training Powerpoint Slides (PPTX)
- Election Administrators - CA COVID-19 Safety Checklist (PDF)
- Election Workers - CA COVID-19 Safety Check (PDF)
- COVID-19 Symptoms Poster (PDF)
- Voters - Help Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 (PDF)
- Poll Workers Must - Help Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 (PDF)
- Election Staff Must - Help Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 (PDF)
2020 Poll Worker Training Standards by Section
- Section 1 – COVID-19 Poll Worker Safety
- Section 2 – Ensuring and Protecting the Rights of Every Voter
- Section 3 – Polling Place Hours
- Section 4 – Procedures for New Voters, Vote-by-Mail Voting, Provisional Voting, and Other Situations
- Section 5 – Assuring Security of and Troubleshooting Problems with Voting Technology
- Section 6 – Operation of Voting Technology
- Section 7 – Relevant Election Laws and Procedures
- Section 8 – Poll Worker Training Methods and Materials