Admission Day Celebration, September 9
1849 State Constitution on display
California Secretary of State Alex Padilla and the California State Archives, in partnership with the California Museum and the Foundation for Democracy and Justice, will be hosting a rare public display of the original 1849 state Constitution on September 9 to celebrate 165 years of California statehood.
The public is invited to attend any of the day’s events, all to be held at the Secretary of State building at 1500 11thStreet. The events include:
- Display of 1849 Constitution — both English and Spanish versions — from 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Reception featuring California’s birthday cake from 3:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Program with remarks by California Chief Justice Tani Cantil-Sakauye and Secretary of State Alex Padilla at 4:15 p.m.
- Free admission to the California Museum’s exhibit on California statehood from 3:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Free admission to the State Archives new exhibit about the office of the California Secretary of State from 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
More program details to follow. Please mark your calendars to join in this celebration!