Campaign Disclosure for Candidates

How To Get Started

This is an introduction to some of the most common campaign disclosure forms filed by candidates early in their campaigns. It should be used as a supplement to (and not a replacement for) the Campaign Disclosure Information Manuals. The forms identified below are required by the Political Reform Act.

It is important to note that candidates may need to file a number of other documents in addition to campaign disclosure forms (e.g., Filing Fees or Petitions in Lieu, Declarations of Intention, Nomination Papers, Statements of Economic Interests).

What: Form 501 (Candidate Intention Statement)
When: Form 501 must be filed prior to the solicitation or receipt of any contribution or expenditure of any personal funds used for the election.
  • The filing officer who receives the candidate's original campaign disclosure statements.


What: Form 410 (Statement of Organization Recipient Committee)
When: Must be filed within 10 days of receiving $1,000 or more. (May be filed earlier.) After Form 410 is filed, the Secretary of State will issue the identification number for your campaign committee.
  • The original and one copy with the Secretary of State's Political Reform Division, and
  • one copy with the local filing official, if any, with whom you file the originals of your campaign disclosure statements.


What: Form 470 (Officeholder and Candidate Campaign Statement-Short Form) -- This form may be used when a candidate does not have a controlled committee and does not anticipate raising or spending $1,000 or more in a calendar year.
When: Must be filed no later than the deadline for the first required campaign disclosure statement. (May be filed earlier.)


What: Form 460 (Recipient Committee Campaign Statement) - This form is used by candidates and their controlled committees to disclose itemized receipts and expenditures.
When: Must be filed according to applicable filing schedules.

Political Reform

Register To Vote Online