MyVote Democracy at Work Project
The MyVote Democracy at Work Project invites businesses, state and local government and nonprofit organizations to strengthen our democracy by engaging in nonpartisan activities that encourage their employees, customers and members to participate in elections. The project offers ideas to spark creativity in spreading the word about voting, and recognizes the civic spirit of everyone who takes part by listing them on the Secretary of State's website.
You can help to improve voter participation in California by using your favorite forms of communication to send brief nonpartisan messages about upcoming elections to your employees, customers or members.
Whether you choose email, text messaging, an online newsletter, website or printed material, the Democracy at Work Project provides easy-to-use tools to help you inspire others be more civically engaged.
We welcome your ideas and creativity as you choose the voter outreach method that feels right for you. Here are some easy ways to get started:
Step One: Choose a simple nonpartisan message about voting from the Democracy at Work Project's two-page sampler of ideas, or create one of your own. Each message contains a brief reminder of a key deadline to register to vote, request a vote by mail ballot or cast a ballot on Election Day. All include a link to the Secretary of State's website, where people will find the tools and information they need to be active and informed voters. Or use our sample article on the Democracy At Work Project in a newsletter or email to encourage members of your organization to participate.
Step Two: Load the MyVote Election Information button onto your web page. It links to the Secretary of State's Voting In California page, which provides easy access to voter registration forms, vote-by-mail ballot request forms, ballot information and answers to frequently asked questions about elections and voting. The MyVote button and instructions for installing it are available at www.sos.ca.gov/elections/bug/bug.htm.
Step Three: Print a "Just a reminder" poster or a "Change your ringtone" poster about voting and display it where employees gather, or promote the paper-free way to become a voter, with an Online Voter Registration poster. Consider organizing a nonpartisan voter registration event for employees. Participants in the MyVote Democracy at Work Project have made voter registration materials available to employees during their lunch hours or at a company-sponsored "election fair" that employees could visit throughout the day.
Voters on the Move
Many registered voters don't realize that when they move to a new address, they need to re-register to vote. Other Californians registering to vote for the first time may not know where they can easily access the information they need to take part in our democracy.
You can provide a valuable service to your customers, members or employees, and help strengthen our democracy, by using the tools shown below to remind them to register or re-register to vote when they move.
Whose customers are voters on the move?
- Realtors and escrow agents
- Rental property owners and managers
- Banks, mortgage lenders and brokers
- Moving and storage companies
- Insurance companies
- Public and private utilities (electricity, gas,
water and telephone)
- Internet, cable and satellite TV providers
Change-of-Address Voter Outreach Tools
- Brief voter registration-related messages for people moving to a new address, which you can add to an email, website or other online or printed communication.
- "MyVote Election Information" button that links from your website to the Secretary of State's voter education web page at www.sos.ca.gov/elections/voting-in-california.
- One-page "Are You Planning to Move?" handout you can print and distribute with a couple of voter registration cards provided by the Secretary of State. You can also add this handout to a website or send it to customers via email.
Want to know more?
For more information about the MyVote Democracy At Work Project, please contact - Voter Education and Outreach Services, at (916) 651-3070 or DemocracyAtWork@sos.ca.gov.
MyVote Democracy at Work Project Participants
Secretary of State Debra Bowen proudly recognizes the exemplary contributions to improving participation in our democracy by the MyVote Democracy at Work Project participants:
- Beverly Hills/Greater Los Angeles Association of Realtors
- Burbank Chamber of Commerce
- California Apartment Association
- California Association of Health Plans
- California Bankers Association
- California Nurses Association
- California Professional Firefighters
- California Teachers Association
- Faculty Association of California Community Colleges
- Fountain Valley Chamber of Commerce
- Fullerton Chamber of Commerce
- Greater Riverside Chambers of Commerce
- Hollywood Chamber of Commerce
- Huntington Beach Chamber of Commerce
- Local Health Plans of California
- Long Beach Area Chamber of Commerce
- Los Angeles County Business Federation
- Los Angeles Junior Chamber of Commerce
- Manhattan Beach Chamber of Commerce
- National Association of Women Business Owners - Los Angeles
- National Association of Women Business Owners - Orange County
- Redondo Beach Chamber of Commerce
- San Luis Obispo Chamber of Commerce
- Santa Ana Chamber of Commerce
- Silicon Valley Leadership Group
- South Bay Association of Chambers of Commerce
- South Bay Association of Realtors
- Southwest California Legislative Council
- The Valley Economic Alliance
- Torrance Area Chamber of Commerce
- Valley Industry and Commerce Association
- Companies and Nonprofit Employers
- The Aerospace Corporation
- Alameda Alliance for Health
- Alameda County Office of Education
- AltaMed Health Services Corporation
- American Honda Motor Company
- California Department of Veterans Affairs
- California National Guard
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
- Chiquita Brands International
- City of Hope
- Clif Bar & Company
- Coalition of Orange County Community Health Centers
- Delta Dental of California
- Dignity Health
- Exxon Mobil
- Fox Entertainment Group
- Health Net, Inc.
- Hot Dog on a Stick
- Jack in the Box, Inc.
- Jelly Belly Candy Company
- Keck Medical Center of USC
- Kia Motors America, Inc.
- Levi Strauss & Co.
- Los Angeles County Office of Education
- Los Angeles Department of Water and Power
- Mattel, Inc.
- Mazda North American Operations
- Metropolitan Water District of Southern California
- Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc.
- NBC Universal
- Northrop Grumman
- Paramount Pictures
- Port of Los Angeles
- Providence Health & Services - California
- Round Table Pizza, Inc.
- San Joaquin County Office of Education
- Scripps Health
- Sempra Energy
- Shakey's USA, Inc.
- Sony Pictures Entertainment, Inc.
- Southern California Gas Company
- Sunrider International
- Sutter Health
- Togo's Eateries, Inc.
- Toyota Motor Sales, USA
- University of California System
- Warner Bros. Entertainment Group, Inc.
- William Morris Endeavor Entertainment
button to your
website! Click the MyVote
button to find out how.