About Elections Division
The Secretary of State's Elections Division has a wide variety of responsibilities in administering elections in California. Among its many duties, the Elections Division:
- Certifies the official lists of candidates running for state offices
- Advises candidates and local elections officials on the qualifications and requirements for running for office
- Provides guidance on how candidates can select acceptable candidate ballot designations
- Determines the order in which candidates are placed on the ballot
- Tracks and certifies ballot initiatives. State measures must be verified by the Elections Division before they can be placed on the ballot.
- Coordinates the tabulation of the votes from each county on election night. After each election, the Elections Division produces the official Statements of Vote, the official compilation of vote totals for each state election.
- Determines which types of voting systems may be used in California
- Uses its Voter Registration and Outreach team to produce voter registration forms, voter information publications, and encourage people to register and vote.
The materials on this site changes often, especially during election season, and there are several RSS feed subscriptions that will deliver updated information directly to your news reader or email. The available Election Division RSS feeds are:
Subscribe to VoteCal Updates from the California Secretary of State in a reader
Subscribe to VoteCal Updates from the California Secretary of State by Email
Subscribe to Advisories to County Elections Officials in a reader
Subscribe to Advisories to County Elections Officials by Email
Subscribe to California Secretary of State Ballot Measure Update in a reader
Subscribe to California Secretary of State Ballot Measure Update by Email
Subscribe to Voting Systems Announcements in a reader
Subscribe to Voting Systems Announcements by Email
What is RSS?
For additional information about Voter Registration, Voting, Propositions, and Running for Office please read our Frequently Asked Questions.